Short Property Description
We live on 60 acres of natural bush & rainforest on the foothills of Mt Arthur, bordering an informal reserve. Beautiful walking tracks up Mt Arthur & elsewhere its an idyllic & peaceful location, 35min from Launceston if you’re looking for somewhere to find yourself and learn. Here on our Property our main income is from our home-based furniture making business.
Work includes: fruit & vegetable gardening, tending to natives, landscaping.
Accommodation: We have accommodation for 1-2 in a cosy, converted railway carriage with verandah.
Shared meals: Mixed diet. No children. No smoking on property.
Initial stay 3-5 days. Negotiable stays after initial visit. Prefer stays of 1 week.
Call or email and we can discuss pick up arrangements.
Full Property Description
Lilydale, originally known as Upper Piper, is a small town in northern Tasmania, Australia. The town is 28 kilometres northeast of Launceston and is a part of the Launceston municipality. It is located near Mount Arthur. Lilydale, which nestles under the slopes of Mount Arthur, is an attractive town which in recent times has attracted craftspeople and artists.
The result is a quiet town with an artistic ambience. In recent times many of the local artists have painted the local telegraph poles with murals and, consequently, the town has become known as the “Home of the Painted Poles” https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5280723/hand-painted-poles-depict-lilydales-past-present-and-future/#slide=1
The History of our Town: * Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the 1850s the area around Lilydale had been settled for thousands of years by the Tyerrernotepanner Aborigines. * Timber cutters started clearing the Lilydale district in the late 1850s and by the 1860s a small number of settlers were living in the area.
* In the late 1870s a track was cut through the bush to the short-lived goldfields on the slopes of Mount Arthur.
* The local post office was opened in 1873 and renamed Lilydale in 1887.
* A railway line, a branch line from Launceston, was opened in 1889.
* Through the twentieth century the town grew slowly to meet the service needs of the surrounding orchards and farms.