Hello! We are Sam and Lou. Both 28yrs old. From the Mornington Peninsula – Victoria. People describe us as friendly, passionate, reliable, adaptable, humble, hardworking and eager to learn.
What motivates us:
- Meeting people and hearing their stories.
- Living harmoniously with our planet. –
- Contributing to our community.
What we strive for:
- To focus on being interested, rather than interesting.
- To learn from people, on the land, about the land.
- To eventually, own and farm our own piece of land.
Our story so far:
For most of our lives, we have called the beautiful Mornington Peninsula our home. This is where our family lives and where we grew up.
The study era:
- Lou walked away from Monash Uni with a Bachelor of Education & Sam a Diploma of Outdoor Leadership.
- A year living and working abroad in the United States. First encounter with WWOOFing! Two months WWOOFing in Colorado (gardening, animal management, picking up hay, working horses and horse packing)
- For the past three years, we have been living in far East Gippsland. Here we have been teaching at a school that centres around sustainability and outdoor education. The school, a working farm, has provided endless opportunities to increase our understanding of the land and how we can actively produce our own food. Lou has been managing the edible gardens & orchards. Sam has been working closely with the farm manager.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Capable (not expert) gardeners: experience managing medium scale edible gardens and orchards.
- Experienced 4WD driving and vehicle recovery.
- Power Boat handlers’ certificate
- Wilderness First Aid
- Lou has had much experience with horses.
- Lou has her PDC (Permaculture Design Certificate).
- Sam has a Chainsaw & Tractor operation certificate.
Why I joined WWOOF
We are eager to meet landowners, hear their stories and learn new skills. We have decided that there is no better way to do this than to join the WWOOFing community, connect with like-minded people and offer our contribution.