Short Property Description
Our farm is a mixed cropping, and grazing property set in a stunning valley in the foothills of the Richmond ranges National Park. We grow ginger, turmeric and garlic, along with vegetables, berries and a mixed fruit and nut orchard.
Our animals include a small Jersey dairy herd, a few beef cows and five steers for meat. We also have five heritage breeding sows and a boar, and currently piglets. In addition we have poultry, five runner ducks and a drake for eggs, and 13 baby young ducks for our future flock. We have a mixed flock of 15 chickens that produce gorgeous eggs daily. Finally, we have 13 guinea fowl, noisy, messy and often down-right annoying, but they eat ticks and keep snakes away.
Other animals, we have two beautiful ginger cats for vermin control, mainly in the sheds, a cute and very naughty smooth-haired fox terrier, called Eddie, and a beautiful, loveable and majestic livestock guardian dog, a one year-old Maremma, called Baci.
Organic/Biological methods we use
We farm using biodynamic methods. We are in the process of qualifying to apply for organic and biodynamic in-conversion status.
Our farm has had its soils tested and we can confirm that there were no herbicides or pesticides found.
Skills WWOOFers can learn here
Organic practices & techniques, Biodynamic practices & techniques, Permaculture design practices & techniques, Gardening, Composting, Propagating, Pruning, Soil conservation, Mulching, Animal care, Dairy, Using & caring for tools, Building, Fencing, Handyman, Cheese making, Bread making, Fermenting foods, Preserving & processing food, Marketing produce
Courses and Events
2. Sourdough and specialty breads, including fruit bread. Winter classes only.
1. French patisserie: Croissants, Pain au Chocolat, Pain au Raisen
2. Classic cakes: traditional English Victoria sponges cake, Mango layer cake, chocolate fudge cake.
2. Ice cream, frozen yogurt and specialty desserts.
1. Beginner cheesemaking, including simple curd cheeses, whole-milk ricotta and paneer cheeses.
4. Advanced cheesemaking, including Parmesan, Manchego and Romana. Winter classes only.
Preserving home-grown produce:
1. Simple fruit bottling using water bath method
1. Kimchi and sauerkraut
2. Kombucha making
Other courses available from time-to-time.